- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
What Is acupuncture? It's a form of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) that has been used in humans and animals over thousands of years to treat a variety of problems, including pain, arthritis, heart, lung, kidney, digestive, hormone, allergic, reproductive and mental illness. Acupuncture points are specific spots on the body surface where a practitioner applies stimulation by inserting a sterile needle for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Each point has a unique location and physiological effect. Case studies have shown that acupuncture can enhance your dog's comfort, emotional stability and overall health.
Acupuncture is a very safe medical procedure when administered by a qualified practitioner. Very few negative effects have been found in clinical cases. Each session may take 20 to 45 minutes; the first session usually takes longer than follow-up appointments. Some results can be seen immediately but others will require several treatments. Generally a minimum of 3 to 5 treatments 1-2 weeks apart for chronic conditions are needed before one can expect notable improvement.
Clinical trials indicate that acupuncture therapy can be effective in the following conditions :
- Musculoskeletal problems: muscle soreness, back pain, osteoarthritis, and degenerative joint disease.
- Neurological disorders: seizures, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), laryngeal hemiplegia, and facial and radial nerve paralysis.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: Diarrhea, gastric ulcers, colic, vomiting, constipation, and impactions.
- Other chronic conditions: anhidrosis, heaves, asthma, cough, uveitis, renal failure, chronic liver disease, behavioral problems, infertility, Cushing's disease, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, geriatric weakness, and skin problems.
- Quality of life, maintenance and enhancement, and hospice care.